[Coral-List] RE : Coral-List Digest, Vol 53, Issue 11

Jordan Garza jorga1 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 9 14:54:24 EST 2007

  Dear Dr. Bruno, about one of your questions:
I recall this quote:  "Few corals will survive direct overgrowth by creeping, prostrate algae, whereas many could adapt to shading by canopy-forming leathery algae, or could increase mucus production to shed recruiting filaments" from:
L.J. McCook, J. Jompa and G. Diaz-Pulido. 2001 Competition between corals and algae on coral reefs: a review of evidence and mechanisms. Volume 19, Number 4 pp. 400-417.
  I can imagine that this shading canopy, the authors talk about, could protect the coral beneath it from light stress under certain circumstances, but I have no idea how general this effect could be on a reef scale. Maybe the authors have further insight on this behalf.
  Saludos,

M. en C. Adán Guillermo Jordán-Garza
Lab. de Sistemas Arrecifales Coralinos
Instituto de Ciencias del Mar y Limnología, U.N.A.M.
Unidad Académica Puerto Morelos.
Tel. (998) 87 102 19 ext. 125
Cel. (998)158 12 90
E-mail: jorga1 at yahoo.com