[Coral-List] coral reef economics: non-use values & job opportunity

James Spurgeon James.Spurgeon at erm.com
Tue Nov 20 07:00:38 EST 2007

Dear listers

I am currently developing an 'equivalency' model (based on an integration of 'habitat', 'resource use' and 'value' based equivalency) to determine an appropriate level and package of compensation (potentially worth millions of US$) for some 'unavoidable' damages/impacts to a coral reef from a port development.  The aim is to achieve overall 'no net loss' based on key ecosystem and stakeholder values.

If anyone has any recent coral reef valuation study results focussing on, or including, 'non-use values', not readily available in the usual economics literature databases (e.g. NOAA, Reefbase, EVRI, NOEP), I'd really appreciate further information on them. Non-use values are often by far the greatest value of coral reefs, but sadly are poorly understood and usually neglected. If anyone would like further information on non-use values relating to coral reefs, I can send a recent paper discussing their importance.

The final outcome of the compensation study will be published in the future, hopefully as an example of best international practice.

I am also currently looking to recruit a graduate and senior (5yrs experience) environmental economics consultant to be based in London or Oxford.  If interested, feel free to send CVs directly to me ASAP.  ERM is the world's largest pure environmental consultancy, with 3,500 environmental consultants based in 40 countries around the world.

Best wishes
James

James Spurgeon
Technical Director - Head of Environmental Economics
Strategic Services Team

Environmental Resources Management
Eaton House
Wallbrook Court
North Hinksey Lane
Oxford
OX2 0QS
Tel: +44 (0) 1865 384813
Fax: +44 (0) 1865 384848
james.spurgeon at erm.com
http://www.erm.com

This electronic mail message may contain information which is (a) LEGALLY PRIVILEGED, PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE, and (b) intended only for the use of the Addressee (s) names herein. If you are not the Addressee (s), or the person responsible for delivering this to the Addressee (s), you are hereby notified that reading, copying, or distributing this message is prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please contact us immediately and take the steps necessary to delete the message completely from your computer system. Thank you.