[Coral-List] acropora alternative opinion

John Ware jware at erols.com
Tue Oct 9 10:25:29 EDT 2007

James,

I couldn't agree more.  One of the points of greatest frustration to me
is all the discussion about MPAs and reef restoration (and I know that
Tom is heavily involved in this) and related topics when the real
problems are global in extent.  I greatly fear that reefs as we know
them are doomed (is that too strong?).  One you get right down to it,
the number one problem for reefs is people - too darn many of them and
too much consumption of goods.

No amount of restoration, MPAs, monitoring, genetic analysis, and on and
on are addressing the real problem.

See you at 2008 ICRS?

John

James Cervino PhD. wrote:

>Hi John, You said "Inability of larvae to cross freshwater outflows" however,
>dont you agree that the number one hindrance of "progress in terms of fitness
>and adaptation" is due to the persistantance of HEAT stroke induced bleaching
>in the next decade.
>
>There will be no pot of gold here in terms of movement to a higher
>latitude....as they will not escape the catastrophe that is awaiting. We need
>to be calling for massive cuts in emissions of heat trapping gasses at this
>next Symposium as there is no MPA on this planet that will protect them if we
>dont address the true threat to reefs, which are greenhouse gass emissions and
>the pollutants that are spewing off our coasts into reef habitats.
>
>Cheers, James
>

>Quoting John Ware <jware at erols.com>:
>
>* And keep in mind that progress of reefs towards higher latitudes can be
>* constrained by the inability of larvae to cross freshwater outflows from
>* rivers.
>*
>* John
>*
>* delbeek at waquarium.org wrote:
>*
>* >buiscuil <pascal.mege at gmail.com> said:
>* >
>* >
>* >
>* >>Even IF what the paper tries to make us
>* >>
>* >>
>* >believe (which is, for those who did not read it, that Acropora will benefit
>* >from global warming by extending their range northward) were true, is seems
>* >very unwise to me to stop efforts for global warming limitations. <
>* >
>* >I find it interesting that they note that their range may extend northwards
>* >(what they will grow on is of course another question) they fail to mention
>* >that their old stomping grounds may get too hot for them to survive.
>* >Therefore, while they may spread northward, the rear could disappear.
>* >
>* >Sincerely,
>* >
>* >
>* >
>*
>* --
>*     *************************************************************
>*     *                                                           *
>*     *                      John R. Ware, PhD                    *
>*     *                         President                         *
>*     *                      SeaServices, Inc.                    *
>*     *                   19572 Club House Road                   *
>*     *             Montgomery Village, MD, 20886, USA            *
>*     *                       301 987-8507                        *
>*     *                      jware at erols.com                      *
> [...]

    *     |\/__       Untainted by Technology            \      *