[Coral-List] Pipes hung in the sea could help planet to 'heal itself' - Independent Online Edition > Climate Change

John Ware jware at erols.com
Tue Oct 9 10:56:53 EDT 2007

Tim,

What came to mind upon hearing about the 'pipes in the sea' was the NOAA
ill-advised OTEC program of 20+ years ago or so.  OTEC = Ocean Thermal
Energy Conversion.

This was long ago and I was only peripherally involved so memory may be
somewhat degraded.  The idea was to suspend 30 foot diameter pipes 300
feet long from the ocean surface.  Somehow - the exact details escape me
- the temperature gradient between the surface and the deep end of the
pipe would be used to generate a current (water flow) which would drive
some sort of generator.  I believe some scale models were built and I am
sure that if you Googled OTEC you would find all sorts of stuff and, I
believe, some of it recent.

One of the major problems, as you can imagine, is how do you get the
energy you generate to shore?  A long power cord?  Use the energy to
separate water into H and O and ship the H to shore?

John

Tim Hayes wrote:

>Dear Coral-Listers:
>
>I'd be very interested to here views on the implications of the
>following news story
>
>http://environment.independent.co.uk/climate_change/article3001626.ece
>
>Tim Hayes
>Midland Reefs
>www.midlandreefs.co.uk
>www.coralmagazine.co.uk

    *                      John R. Ware, PhD                    *
    *                         President                         *
    *                      SeaServices, Inc.                    *
    *                   19572 Club House Road                   *
    *             Montgomery Village, MD, 20886, USA            *
    *                       301 987-8507                        *
    *                      jware at erols.com                      *
    *                 http://www.seaservices.org                *
    *                     fax: 301 987-8531                     *
    *             Treasurer and Member of the Council:          *
    *            International Society for Reef Studies         *
    *     |\/__       Untainted by Technology            \      *