[Coral-List] Fertilizing the ocean with iron to remove CO2

James Cervino PhD. jcervino at whoi.edu
Thu Oct 11 10:51:19 EDT 2007

Charles is correct, in that Martin conducted these experiments. However, did
they not get the wrong bloom to appear??. From what I remember, and I will pull
the old journals out, the Fe stimulated a coccolith bloom instead of the true
"heavy sinkers of CO2" which are diatoms. I guess we cannot play with nature
and we will have to resort to the difficult task in drastically cutting the
fossil fuel use here in the good ole USA.

James
*************************************
Dr. James M. Cervino
Pace University & Visiting Scientist
Woods Hole Oceanographic Inst.
Deptartment of Marine Chemistry
Woods Hole MA.
Cell: 917-620*5287
************************************

Quoting Charles Booth <booth at easternct.edu>:

* Dear Melissa,
* You are remembering correctly ­ it was John Martin of the Moss Landing
* Marine Laboratory who suggested (tongue-in-cheek, apparently) that given a
* shipload of iron ore he could bring on another ice age. A lot of scientists
* took him seriously and started looking at iron-limitations to primary
* productivity in the tropical Pacific.  Here are a few references on this:
*
* Report Nixes "Geritol" Fix for Global Warming
* LESLIE ROBERTS
* Science 27 September 1991 253: 1490-1491
*
* Iron Fertilization: A Tonic, but No Cure for the Greenhouse
* Richard A. Kerr
* Science 25 February 1994 263: 1089-1090
*
* The Effects of Iron Fertilization on Carbon Sequestration in the Southern
* Ocean
* Ken O. Buesseler, John E. Andrews, Steven M. Pike, and Matthew A. Charette
* Science 16 April 2004 304: 414-417
*
* Dis-Crediting Ocean Fertilization
* Sallie W. Chisholm, Paul G. Falkowski, and John J. Cullen
* Science 12 October 2001 294: 309-310
*
* The Effects of Iron Fertilization on Carbon Sequestration in the Southern
* Ocean
* Ken O. Buesseler, John E. Andrews, Steven M. Pike, and Matthew A. Charette
* Science 16 April 2004 304: 414-417
*
* Mesoscale Iron Enrichment Experiments 1993-2005: Synthesis and Future
* Directions
* P. W. Boyd, T. Jickells, C. S. Law, S. Blain, E. A. Boyle, K. O. Buesseler,
* K. H. Coale, J. J. Cullen, H. J. W. de Baar, M. Follows, M. Harvey, C.
* Lancelot, M. Levasseur, N. P. J. Owens, R. Pollard, R. B. Rivkin, J.
* Sarmiento, V. Schoemann, V. Smetacek, S. Takeda, A. Tsuda, S. Turner, and A.
* J. Watson
* Science 2 February 2007 315: 612-617
*
* Chuck Booth