[Coral-List] Polycyathus isabela for biogeography and systematics confirmation

Allen Chen cac at gate.sinica.edu.tw
Sun Sep 16 19:59:19 EDT 2007

Dear All,

I am very glad to read the news in Prof. Ove Hoegh-Guldberg's blog
about three Galapagos' corals listed as threatened and vulnerable
species by the IUCN. One of the species, Polycyathus isabela, is very
interesting to me. My student works on the taxonomy of one
undescribed Polycyathus in southern Taiwan. There is a population
occur at shallow water where is an ancient uplifted Pliocene reef,
but no current reef occurs. From our preliminary identification, we
thought the closest species is Polycyathus isabela. I am wondering
whether will any of you provide me the information or, even better,
coral samples for systematic confirmation. If the species we work on
turns out to be Polycyathus isabela, that will be really interesting.

thank you in advance!

Cheers, Allen
Allen Chen, PhD
Associate Research Fellow