[Coral-List] publication of interest

J Locke jml100 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 11:51:44 EDT 2007

Dear Colleagues,

Please bring your attention to the following publication, within the
Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington, describing the
taxonomic confusion of the coral referred to as Madracis mirabilis.

Locke, J.M., E. Weil & K.A. Coates. 2007.  A newly documented species of *
Madracis* (Scleractinia: Pocilloporidae) from the Caribbean. Proceedings of
the Biological Society of Washington. 120:214-226.

We would also like to take this opportunity to solicit confirmed studies of
the new species. Currently, authors of publications involving *Madracis
mirabilis* sensu Wells, 1973 are being contacted to confirm if the coral
they worked with was *Madracis auretenra*, the species described within the
above publication.   To limit further taxonomic confusion, the information
gathered from past authors will be compiled as a biological review and full
bibliography of the coral.  Any distributional updates for the species would
be informative. We welcome your cooperation.

After reading the publication we hope that you will appreciate the need and
urgency for rectifying the problem and lend us your support in recognizing
the valid name.

For those of you who may not have access to the journal please feel free to
contact me for a PDF.

Kind Regards,
Jan Locke

--