[Coral-List] Reef Connectivity Mini-Symposium, Call for Abstracts

Paul Barber pbarber at bu.edu
Thu Sep 20 11:49:52 EDT 2007

Dear colleagues:

We would like to invite you to participate in a mini-symposium "Reef
connectivity", being held at the 11th ICRS in Fort Lauderdale, July
7th-11th 2008. The central theme for the 11th ICRS is "REEFS FOR THE
FUTURE" and the symposium goals are to provide a scientific basis for
coral reef ecosystem management by articulating the state of the
science with respect to current and emerging stressors; improve the
understanding of reef condition, function, and productivity; and grow
the fields of coral reef ecosystem science, conservation, and
multidisciplinary research by facilitating the exchange of ideas.

The central questions we hope to address in the Reef Connectivity
Symposium are:

1) At what temporal and spatial scales are coral reefs biologically connected?
2) Given the unique responses of individual species, how do we
combine connectivity data across taxa to form a better understanding
of connectivity of reef communities?
3) Is connectivity among coral reefs merely a consequence of
accurately estimating fluid dynamics, or does animal behavior
influence connectivity?
4) Where are the mismatches between phylogeographic patterns and
contemporary hydrodynamic corridors and why do they occur?

We welcome abstract submissions on these topics as well as all other
aspects of "Reef Connectivity".

When submitting your abstracts, please use the session code:
Mini-Symposium 14. The deadline for abstract submission is 15
November 2007.

For abstract submission, registration, and other information, please visit:
http://www.nova.edu/ncri/11icrs/

Mini-Symposium 14
"Reef connectivity"

Co-conveners: