[Coral-List] 11th ICRS: "Coral Reefs as recorders of environmental change" Call for Abstracts

Greg Jacoski gjacoski at nova.edu
Fri Sep 21 11:14:38 EDT 2007

Dear colleagues:

    We would like to invite you to participate in Mini-Symposium 4, "Coral
reef organisms as recorders of local and global environmental change", being
held at the 11th ICRS in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, July 7-11, 2008.
    The 11th International Coral Reef Symposium science program will address
scientific questions within the framework of a series of Mini-Symposia
developed to address problems and issues on contemporary coral reefs that
will assist management to sustain future reefs.
    The central theme for the 11th ICRS is "REEFS FOR THE FUTURE". The
Symposium goals are to provide a scientific basis for coral reef ecosystem
management by articulating the state of the science with respect to current
and emerging stressors; improve the understanding of coral reef condition,
function, and productivity; and grow the fields of coral reef ecosystem
science, conservation, and multidisciplinary research by facilitating the
exchange of ideas.

    The central topics of Mini-Symposium 4 are as follows:
    1) What coral recorders are accurate indicators of changes in water
quality and what have we learned from them?
    2) Are there any suitable proxies that accurately record past bleaching
or disease events?
    3) How can the best climate information (particularly SST and salinity)
be recovered from coral reconstructions?
    4) How well can we resolve inter-annual and longer-term variations in
tropical marine climate from coral reconstructions?
    5) What have we learned about past climate variations from coral
paleoclimate records?

    Submissions that address these questions are encouraged but not
mandatory. We welcome all abstract submissions on these topics as well as
all aspects of "Coral reef organisms as recorders of local and global
environmental change". If you have an alternative question or questions you
are addressing, please so note. All submissions addressing "Coral reef
organisms as recorders of local and global environmental change" are
encouraged to be submitted for consideration.
    When submitting your abstracts, please use the session code:
Mini-Symposium 4. The deadline for abstract submission is 15 November 2007.
    For abstract submission, registration, and other information, please
visit: http://www.nova.edu/ncri/11icrs/

    Mini-Symposium 4
    "Coral reef organisms as recorders of local and global environmental
change"

    Co-conveners:
    Malcolm McCulloch
    Peter Swart
    Brad Rosenheim

    If you know of anyone who might be interested who might not receive this
notice, please feel free to pass it along. We look forward to your
participation. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us.

Gregory Jacoski

National Coral Reef Institute

NSU Oceanographic Center

8000 North Ocean Drive