[Coral-List] MPA criteria of design - social perspectives

Joshua Cinner joshua.cinner at jcu.edu.au
Wed Sep 26 21:17:05 EDT 2007

Dear Sophie,

The publications you mention focus primarily on the ecological aspects of
designing marine reserves.  Those are, of course, important, but you should
also be aware of the emerging body of literature on the social, economic,
and cultural considerations relevant to designing effective marine reserves.
You may find the following publication of interest- it is due out soon in
Coral Reefs and is available in the Online First.

Cinner, J. (2007) Designing marine reserves to reflect local socioeconomic
conditions: Lessons from long-enduring customary management systems. Coral
Reefs: in press

Respectfully,
Josh

"I know that the human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
George W. Bush

Joshua E. Cinner, PhD
Postdoctoral Fellow (APD)
ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies
James Cook University
Townsville, QLD 4811
Australia
ph: +61 7 4781 6751
fax: +61 7 4781 6722
joshua.cinner at jcu.edu.au
http://www.coralcoe.org.au/research/joshcinner.html

Visit the New ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies at
http://www.coralcoe.org.au/
Download >240 pdfs of our latest publications

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
1:53 PM