[Coral-List] Open Access

Suzanne Bolton Suzanne.Bolton at noaa.gov
Thu Apr 17 10:11:08 EDT 2008

I have read the discussion of open journals and am concerned that the
task of printed journals is given to short shrift.  I too would like to
be able the read all journals for free from my laptop and maybe in the
future that will be more the the case.  I read them now becasaue my
agency has paid the price for open access.  When I retire, I will need
to find other sources for some journals.

There are people who serve as overall editors over all those free
reviews.  They have an onerous job of making sure the best science is
published and too often these selections are questioned by many in the
community.  /Science /is a perfect example of a journal pilloried and
accused of not selecting appropriate reviewers on fisheries management
and aquaculture, to name two instances.  I will not debate the subject
except to say I would not want the job or their budgets.  Too many
technical journals have been lost to the costs of publication so I  have
doubts the extent to which profit  is being reaped from their sale.  SUZ