[Coral-List] Long term change in Eritrean reefs: past, present, future

Ateweberhan, Mebrahtu mateweberhan at wcs.org
Sun Apr 20 20:26:05 EDT 2008

Thanks Peter Raines for bringing Eritrean coral reefs on the list.

It is hardly surprising that the news has been met with different views and even with suspicion given how little is known about Eritrean reefs. My take on the report is that it is very newsy and gives little scientific information. The 'pristine' status in the report highlights the low level of exploitation of the marine resources as the fisheries remains largely of subsistence. Industrial fisheries, large scale tourism and pollution are insignificant except near the two port towns, mainly due to war and underdevelopment of infrastructure. The subject of tolerance to climate change is more contentious.  In situ sea water temperatures reach 37oC (average 34 oC) in summer at 3 m (Ateweberhan et al. 2006; Coral Reefs), way higher than those that killed most of the western Indian Ocean reefs in 1998. Shallow waters on many reefs are still dominated by bleaching susceptible taxa, such as Acropora, Montipora or Stylophora. I must say that coral bleaching is very common (1998, 2000
, 2002, 2005) but is often followed by fast recovery. Our unpublished results, based on trends in SST variability and bleaching mortality due to the 1998 ENSO, southern Red Sea reefs are classified among the least vulnerable Indian Ocean reefs.

I would like to point out that both the 1962 and 1965 Israeli Expeditions to the Dahlak were confined to a small area of the Archipelago and focused mainly on invertebrates and macroalgae. They were very descriptive and less exhaustive on both taxonomic and ecological aspects. Even for one of he most conspicuous fish families, such as Chaetodontidae, the published reports from the expedition were less exhaustive (http://dissertations.ub.rug.nl/FILES/faculties/science/2003/z.a.zekeria/thesis.pdf). The above study found 11 species (the highest in the Red Sea). For seaweeds that were extensively surveyed in 1962/65, the report that took nearly 40 years to publish (Silva and Lipkin 2002) presented no. of species that is lower by ~30 than the one reported by Ateweberhan and Prud'homme van Reine (Blumea 2005)for the same area. And the outcome of Charlie Veron's 2007 expedition says it all. With a staggering 225 species (previous record of 115 species for the entire southern Red Sea)and expected 1 new genus and 5 new species, the expedition has again highlighted the large gap of knowledge.

I must admit that even with the present scientific information it is very hard to come up with a clear picture about Eritrean reefs. It is also very hard to conclude on the pristine state of the reefs without a proper scientific investigation based on experimental fishing, proper reporting of landing and modelingsee Tsehaye and Nagelkerken 2008; Ecol Model 212: 319-333). Similarly, proper assessments of the coral and zooxanthellae community structure are needed for tolerance/adaptation (to future climate change) investigation. I hope the discussion will be an opener for promoting general awareness about Eritrean reefs and their proper management.

I guess the subject has very little connection with Gordon Sato's Manzanar Project. I am glad that Sato's Manzanar project is bearing some fruit after shifts in ideas and projects from mullet to milkfish, brine shrimp to spirulina culture and finally to mangrove afforestation during the last ~20 years Sato has been in the country. Only Sato himself and those around him know about the number of skinny goats, the number of plastic containers and concrete blocks that have littered the coasts of Massawa. Only the gods know about the ecological effects of the diammonium phosphate that has leaked into the reefs and the introduced brine shrimp species, mangrove (Rhizophora mangal), Spirulina sps... It is also very hard to swallow his 'low nutrient theory' for an area with one of the highest nutrient levels and primary productivities in tropical seas. Sorry, for inviting the listers to Eritrean politics but what famished Eritreans want is to be left alone (not even fed) for there is no lack of resources.

Mebrahtu

ÐÏࡱá