[Coral-List] Xetospongia muta

glauco150 at aol.com glauco150 at aol.com
Sun Apr 27 15:04:06 EDT 2008

Dear listers:

During a recent dive?(75-80 ft deep) in the north coast of Puerto Rico I found out?numerous Xetospongia muta totally or partially broken.??Some sponges broke flush to the substrate, others broke in different angle when compared to the next standing; there was not a clear break pattern.??On March 20-22, Puerto Rico and the USVI coasts received the impact of a powerful cold front?which produced 30-plus feet breaking waves causing significant coastal erosion.? Could it be possble that soft or weak areas of large high profile?X. muta did not resisted?such continuous?high energy swell/surge?

I will appreciate any comments or references.

best regards,

Glauco A Rivera
PhD candidate
Univ. of PR-Dept. of Marine Sciences