[Coral-List] Open Access

Paul Muir paul.muir at qm.qld.gov.au
Sun Apr 27 19:49:07 EDT 2008

Sounds good! Recent improvements in web technology means that an electronic only journal website could be setup relatively cheaply and easily. Many of the traditional mangement tasks associated with submission, review and publishing could be automated so that the overheads could be quite low and easily recouped by a very small fee for subscription or downloading an article.  The main issue I think would be getting acceptance - a group of high profile researchers would need to get behind the idea by submitting and reviewing articles or being on the editorial panel.
It would be good to give all researchers free or almost free access - for example many independent researchers or those in small institutions or  developing countries cannot afford the costs associated with journal subscription. I think that the current web technology would allow this.

Dr. Paul Muir
Museum of Tropical Queensland,
78-104 Flinders St,
Townsville QLD 4810 Australia.