[Coral-List] Monitoring: Diadema antillarum

Andrés Alegría andresalegria at live.com
Tue Apr 29 11:46:14 EDT 2008

Drew Fozzard,

I recommend you take a look at McField, M. &  P. Kramer (2007). Here they come across and important point, that is the importance of standardizing monitoring methods for crucial reef species (e.g. D. antillarum).

This is the reference.
- McField, M. &  P. Kramer. 2007. Healthy Reefs for Healthy People: A Guide to Indicators of Reef Health and Social Well-being in the Mesoamerican Reef Region. Contribuciónes de M. Gorrez & M. McPherson.

This document may be downloaded for free form the web (healthyreefs.org). Aditionally, I suggest you look at the following:

- Lessios, H.A. 1998. Shallow water echinoids of Cayos Cochinos, Honduras. Rev. Biol. Trop., 46. Supl. (4): 95-101
- Lessios, 1996 - Methods for quantifying abundance of marine organisms. (found in Lang, M.A. and C.C. Baldwin (eds.). 1996. Methods and Technics for Underwater Research. Procedings of the American Academy of Underwater Sciences Scientific Symposium, Ocober 13-16, 1996Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C.

All the best.

Andrés Alegría
+ (504) 9871-9693
Honduras, C.A.> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:39:28 -0400> To: coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov> From: ddalke at lovett.org> Subject: [Coral-List] coral list post: Diadema antillarum> > Dear coral listers,> > This is Drew Fozzard. I am a senior at Lovett, and am currently> doing an independent research project with my Marine Biology> teacher. Along with 11 other students, we will be going to> Discovery Bay Marine Lab in Jamaica with a research diving> class. We are interested in doing a project involving the> population of the reef urchin Diadema antillarum. I was> wondering if anyone had any information or suggestions for> monitoring the numbers of Diadema on the different reefs at> Discovery Bay. We are taking 1/2 m and 1 m quadrants with us.> > Thanks,> > Drew Fozzard> alfozzard at lovett.org> > > > Dan Dalke> Upper School Science Department Chairman> The Lovett School> 404-262-3032 ext. 1520> ddalke at lovett.org> > > > _______________________________________________> Coral-List mailing list> Coral-List at coral.aoml.noaa.gov> http://coral.aoml.noaa.gov/mailman/listinfo/coral-list