[Coral-List] Strange Xestospongia muta damage

Kristen Hoss kristenhoss at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 30 07:54:05 EDT 2008

Hello,

  Are you referring to the cable drag that occurred and sawed off 27 acres of reef a while back?  What you are describing is exactly what happened during a dredging project off the coast of Pompano Beach, FL and many of the sites were repaired. However, the severed sponges did not fare as well as the corals and much of the restoration on those sponges failed. That left behind what you are describing.

  -Kristen Hoss
  Vone Research

Thomas Goreau <goreau at bestweb.net> wrote:
  Estimado Glauco,

Several years ago in Broward County local divers began noticing
Xestospongia muta that looked as if they had been cut off flat near
the bottom as if cut with razor wire. It was so common that local
divers thought someone was stealing their big sponges, unlikely as
that seems. I saw them myself with Dan Clark, and there was no
jagged edge as would happen with a knife cut, anchor dragging, or
turtle chomping, but luckily almost all were healing. I've taken
samples of diseased Xestospongia in the past for microbial analysis,
and know how hard it is to cut a small piece out of them, even of
necrotic tissue, so we were baffled. Luckily there was a short
intense episode of this damage, and it does not seem to have
recurred. Who, why, or when are mysterious, but at least we know where.

Saludos,
Tom

Thomas J. Goreau, PhD
President