[Coral-List] Education of the masses

Melissa K. Demetrikopoulos, Ph.D. mdemetr at biophi.org
Fri Aug 1 09:22:50 EDT 2008

Hi all,
I would like to pass on a suggestion that I received at ascientific meeting in a different area.It was suggested that everyone in the organization take a moment whenthey got on the plane ride home to ask the person next to them what they didfor a living.More than likely, thiswill spark that person to ask them what they do.A simple reply, could be… I work at such andsuch a place and do research aimed at understanding such and such (inreasonably understandable terms).Thiscan open the door to a conversation about what you are studying and why it isimportant to conserve.Hopefully, this short conversation will be onethat they will tell other people about.Folks generally like to be able to report materials that they havedirectly learned from an expert and so there is a good chance that they willspread the word.You can go so far asto give them your card if you are comfortable doing this.So, every time you are on a plane, or stuckin the doctor’s office, waiting at the DMV, or in any other arena where you arewith the public---strike up a friendly conversation!
Take care,
Melissa

Melissa K. Demetrikopoulos, Ph.D.Director of Scientific CommunicationsChair, Division of Program Development and AssessmentInstitute for Biomedical Philosophymdemetr at biophi.org305-240-1522