[Coral-List] Educating the masses

Steve Tooze stevetooze1000 at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 6 05:53:10 EDT 2008

Dear Coral Listers

This is a call to arms to everyone who has taken part in the Educating the
Masses strand.

I've been struck by how much thoughtfulness and passion - and how many great
ideas - have emerged over the last few weeks.

Isn't it time we got our heads together and formed an international think
tank aimed at generating media coverage at every level?

We could start with an internet discussion between all interested
individuals to agree on our aims and then perhaps set up a website with
chatrooms where anyone connected with coral reefs and/or marine conservation
could come for advice on communications and media coverage.

I see it as a focal point and a common resource where we could post our
communciations success stories, let people know how and who to contact in
the media in their country or region, and offer advice about strategies that
have worked for them.

I don't know about you, but, since posting on the List a week ago, I've had
a steady trickle of emails from scientists and researchers from all over the
world saying 'I've got this great story to tell but I've no idea who to
approach or how. Can you help?'

The will is out there. The stories - our basic resource for mass
communications - are out there.

So, if you're interested in exploring the possibilities for forming an
international coral reef communications group, drop me a line at
stevetooze1000 at googlemail.com.

The clock is ticking, people - it's now or never for educating those
masses...

best wishes

Steve Tooze
media consultant & journalist