[Coral-List] Education of the Masses

Gene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Mon Aug 11 12:41:08 EDT 2008

Alice and Antares, I just returned from spending 3 weeks on Florida's
reefs. Every mooring ball on every reef  (Carysfort to Sand Key off
Key West) I visited was occupied by at least one boat..sometimes two.
Reefs were being loved to death. It would have been  difficult to
convince those those people that the corals were mostly dead. Clear
water, topography, and lots of brightly colored fish still draw huge
crowds. Shifting baselines" is alive and well and the odor of coconut
flavored sunscreen was everywhere.  And oh yes... on August 2,
African dust was so thick in the afternoon that one could not see
from one end of the seven mile bridge to the other.  Gene
--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor