[Coral-List] feedback on sponge monitoring??

Christine Schoenberg christine.schoenberg at uni-oldenburg.de
Thu Aug 21 11:13:23 EDT 2008

Dear all,

during the ICRS Kate Holmes and I presented a talk that was supposed
to encourage a discussion on the use of bioeroding sponges in
monitoring projects. We receive irregular but fairly frequent
requests or accounts on field observations that seem to indicate an
increase in bioeroding sponge abundances. These sponges weaken the
reef framework and some can overwhelm live coral. Kate and I see a
need for large-scale and time-series data on these critters.

We gave out 50 free CDs with very detailed information which were
gone within seconds, and we provided the same info again on an ftp
site for downloading. Now we are waiting for your feedback
(anything), so we can generate a recommendation that suits as many
people as possible, is do-able at different sites and comparable
between different studies. A lot of work went into compiling the
provided info. Please, if you are a lucky owner of one of the CDs or
downloaded all that material from the ftp site, honour our efforts,
spend a little time on browsing through it and let us know what you
think/like to suggest/need to know etc. Did we reach the right
people? Do you agree that the sponges should be watched? How do you
think it could be done at your site? We would very much appreciate to
hear about your ideas on this and will then honour YOUR efforts and
try to publish a step-by-step recommendation in the ICRS Proceedings.
Deal?

Cheers, Christine