[Coral-List] Reflections on ICRS 11

richardl at fiu.edu richardl at fiu.edu
Mon Aug 25 17:45:15 EDT 2008

Greetings~  I just got back from Australia where I attended the 12th International Symposium on Microbial Ecology (ISME).  I was also at ICRS.  I just skimmed these messages and thought I'd tell you about how ISME organized their major meeting (held every three years with about 3000 attendees).

First thing each morning there were concurrent 2 hour sessions consisting of invited talks (one half hour for four invitees in each session).  After a coffee break there was a second set of concurrent sessions, also two hours, this time for contributed talks of fifteen minutes each, 8 speakers per session.  After lunch there was a plenary talk (one hour), followed by a two and a half hour poster session.  No talks were held during the poster sessions, and the posters changed each day. They were up in the morning so you could check them out during the coffee break or lunch. There were about 400 posters each day, but it was relatively easy to see them all with the dedicated time. The poster presenters had one hour time slots to be by their posters so they could see the other posters and the talks.  At the end of the day there was a second plenary talk (early evening).

This worked out very nicely.  Laurie

ps  At ICRS I only looked at one poster - at ISME I saw them all!

Laurie L. Richardson
Professor and Chair, Dept. of Biological Sciences
Florida International University
Miami, FL   33199
phone:  305/348-1988
fax:    305/348-1986