[Coral-List] Seasonal Bleaching Outlook

Gene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Tue Aug 26 11:33:36 EDT 2008

Dear Mark, I was curious about the Bleaching out look. If you click
on your web site
http://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/bleachingoutlook/index.html
and enlarge the section between the US and Africa it looks curiously
like a typical satellite image of African dust crossing the Atlantic,
including the hot spot near the Canary islands where coral bleaching
has not been reported. I wonder if the satellite data for temperature
could be affected (or biased) by presence of aerosols which according
to many meteorologists shade and cool surface water temperature.  I
have seen NOAA and NASA reports  stating that dust, and conditions
related to dust such as wind sheer, is the reason we have had less
hurricanes since 2005. I wonder if it would be worthwhile for the
Coral Reef Watch to include an aerosol watch similar to those
available at other web sites. It would be good to have it all in one
place for the coral community to see. Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor