[Coral-List] Critical Habitat for Threatened Corals Finalized

Gene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Mon Dec 1 09:56:32 EST 2008

Todd, You hit the nail on the head with, " I think this is just
another example of our government having all the right intentions but
caught up in their own rules and regulations ending up with undesired
consequences. " I have been having my own problems with the critical
habitat designations but am well aware that at this point,
"resistance if futile." Sarah is right " MUCH thought went into the
proposal and finalization of these critical habitat designations." I
know from talking with members of the recovery team (from which I was
excluded). There was much thought but unfortunately not much science
went into to the designations. We now have some large critical  areas
designated where Acropora never lived during the past 6,000 years.
Nothing will make it grow there if it would not grow there before
humans moved into the Florida Keys. I pointed this  out throughout
the designation process  knowing full well that the only input they
wanted had to concur with their plans.   But, that's government at
work. Relax and enjoy it.  Gene
--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor