[Coral-List] Advise on the effects of tricaine methanesulfonateon coral reef

Tupper, Mark (WorldFish) M.Tupper at CGIAR.ORG
Tue Dec 2 22:05:05 EST 2008

Dear Taratau,

I have used MS-222 to capture small juvenile groupers and Maori
(humphead) wrasse. I did some test plots first with MS-222, quinaldine
sulfate and clove oil to look for any negative impacts on corals or
other invertebrates and found no impacts for any of the 3 chemicals.
Those tests involved a dose of 75g/l MS-222 (the dose I used to capture
young-of-the-year fish from 25-50 mm total length). If higher doses are
used for larger fish, I don't know what the effects on the reef might
be. I didn't find MS-222 to be very effective for capturing fish,
compared to quinaldine or clove oil. Clove oil worked best but was
prohibitively expensive for the large-scale project I was doing, so I
ended up using quinaldine. I did use MS-222 for anesthetizing larger
fish for acoustic tag implantation. It worked well as an anesthetic for
captured fish held in a cooler, but it seemed to disperse too quickly to
be effective for capturing free-swimming fish.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Dr. Mark H. Tupper
Scientist - Coral Reefs & Reef Fisheries
The WorldFish Center
Los Banos, Laguna, PHILIPPINES
Tel +632 580-5659 (2889) GMT +8
Mobile +63 917-524-0864
http://www.worldfishcenter.org
Reducing poverty and hunger by improving fisheries and aquaculture.