[Coral-List] reply to "selling coral" post

Sarah.Friastorres at noaa.gov Sarah.Friastorres at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 13 15:52:39 EST 2008

Dear coral-listers,
in the web site provided by Ed Blume on "selling coral"
http://www.steventhornedesign.com/store/front
Steven Thorne claims to be the "only licensed UK and European
distributor of coral from the Great Australian Barrier Reef". The site
clearly has a commercial purpose (=wants to sell the corals).

Let's review CITES, the Convention of International Trade in
Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna. I think it's appropriate
since Australia and all the countries in the European Union (including
UK) are members of and have ratified CITES.

All stony corals (Scleractinia) are listed under Appendix I CITES,
with the exception of coral fossils listed under app. II. For the look
of the photographs at the site, it seems they are live (non-fossil
corals) that have been killed and cleaned.
Appendix I CITES PROHIBITS INTERNATIONAL TRADE in specimens of the
species listed because they are in danger of extinction. The only
exception are imports of such species for non commercial purposes
(i.e. scientific research). Further exceptions apply (Under Article
VII) if the corals have been propagated in captivity (which is not the
case here).

So, what do you suggest should be the next step now?

Sarah Frias-Torres, PhD
CIMAS-RSMAS University of Miami & MRAG Americas