[Coral-List] Selling coral. Funny you should mention it.

Michael Risk riskmj at univmail.cis.mcmaster.ca
Thu Feb 14 12:10:26 EST 2008

Hello all.

Australia prohibits any and all sale/collection of corals. What the guy
says is total bullcrap (I have learned my lesson.) Now. What to do.

I was contacted yesterday by representatives of the Gov't. of Canada.
An individual in Toronto licensed to import certain species of corals,
and to raise his own for sale, was suspected of bringing in prohibited
specimens.

All of his corals have been confiscated, and moved to the Toronto Zoo
(which has salt-water facilities). As soon as the corals are
identified, this guy will land up in court. He will likely pay a fine
in the range of several $1,000, which will certainly encourager les
autres.

In short, it is the responsibility of the animal-protection authorities
in his country of operation to enforce the regulations. It's not up to
us-although someone could certainly blow the whistle on him.

Mike