[Coral-List] reply to "selling coral" post

Charles Delbeek delbeek at waquarium.org
Thu Feb 14 15:37:43 EST 2008

Sarah.Friastorres at noaa.gov wrote:
> Dear coral-listers,
> in the web site provided by Ed Blume on "selling coral"
> http://www.steventhornedesign.com/store/front
> Steven Thorne claims to be the "only licensed UK and European
> distributor of coral from the Great Australian Barrier Reef". The site
> clearly has a commercial purpose (=wants to sell the corals).
>
> Let's review CITES, the Convention of International Trade in
> Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna. I think it's appropriate
> since Australia and all the countries in the European Union (including
> UK) are members of and have ratified CITES.
>
> All stony corals (Scleractinia) are listed under Appendix I CITES,
> with the exception of coral fossils listed under app. II. For the look
> of the photographs at the site, it seems they are live (non-fossil
> corals) that have been killed and cleaned.
> Appendix I CITES PROHIBITS INTERNATIONAL TRADE in specimens of the
> species listed because they are in danger of extinction. The only
> exception are imports of such species for non commercial purposes
> (i.e. scientific research). Further exceptions apply (Under Article
> VII) if the corals have been propagated in captivity (which is not the
> case here).
>
> So, what do you suggest should be the next step now?
>
> Sarah Frias-Torres, PhD
> CIMAS-RSMAS University of Miami & MRAG Americas

Unless something has changed recently, I believe that all Scleractinia
are _*NOT*_ CITES Appendice I animals, they are Appendice II. Therefore
trade is legal.

http://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.shtml

You appear to have misinterpreted the table in the link above.

Aloha!

-
J. Charles Delbeek M.Sc.
Aquarium Biologist III