[Coral-List] Coral bleaching reports from Cuba

Georgina Bustamante gbustamante at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 15 16:19:33 EST 2008

On behalf of Pedro ALcolado

-----Original Message-----
From: Pedro Alcolado Menendez [mailto:alcolado at ama.cu]
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 2:35 PM
Subject: Bleaching reports of our network.

Dear colleagues,

At the Sabana-Camagüey UNDP/GEF Project website
http://www.medioambiente.cu/scamaguey/home/news.asp the coral bleaching
reports of years 2003, 2005, 2005, 2006 and 2007 in Cuba, based on the Coral
Reef Early Warning Volunteer Monitoring Newwork (CREWVMN) are available.
There was no significant bleaching on 2004, and for that reason only a very
few volunteers sent their negative reports. We are currently promoting and
insisting that volunteer communicate no-bleaching reports, for that reason
that information is  increasingly appearing as you will appreciate. Report
dates in the map % bleaching circles appear when belonging to dates outside
the indicated period when bleaching more probably occur.

The minimun level method required for reporting is the named "general
information" but some volunteers have used quantitative methods.

The report locations are very roughly scaled on a small map because of
confidentiality of detailed locality required by some information providers,
but I think it works for comparing and matching with hotspot and DHW
predictions for their verification.

To download, click "Para descargar" and the page with titles will be
displayed.

Volunteers uses the blank very alike to ReefBase's one for bleaching. Hope
that information be useful and I appreciate your criticisms and suggestion,
as the Network is still working in an initial pilot way, to be more
intensively implemented in the next future.

For any question, do not hesitate to contact me.

Well, I hope you enjoy it.
Best wishes,

Pedro  Alcolado, PhD.
Instituto de Oceanologia