[Coral-List] Lionfish in the Atlantic-Snappers in the Pacific

Brett David Schumacher schumach at hawaii.edu
Wed Feb 20 13:07:13 EST 2008

The introduced snappers did in fact island hop northwest, and southeast, throughout the archipelago. The only island where ta`ape were released was O`ahu, and they dispersed from there.  Most of this was likely larval dispersal, given the distances and depths between islands and atolls, and the rate at which notable populations became established.  Based on records kept by the State of Hawai`i and published reports, a more or less stepping stone pattern of dipersal looks to have taken place. The average rate of advance was about 60km per year, and the snappers are now found essentially throughout the archipelago.

Brett

Brett D. Schumacher
Hawaii Cooperative Fishery Research Unit
Department of Zoology
University of Hawaii at Manoa
2538 McCarthy Mall, Edmondson 152
Honolulu, HI 96822