[Coral-List] banning wild collection when mariculture sources exist [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

margiea Margie.Atkinson at gbrmpa.gov.au
Fri Feb 29 00:44:39 EST 2008

Les
I agree - my personal view is that the key word in this entire debate is
"sustainable". From a conservation point of view it should be prefixed
by the word "ecologically" sustainable. The trick is definitely in
getting the triple bottom line-balance sorted, to foster stewardship. I
would be keen to see some more dialogue about other people's efforts to
resolve this one.

Cheers
Margie

Margaret Atkinson

Project Manager
Fisheries Issues Group
Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority
2-68 Flinders St
PO Box 1379
Townsville, Qld  4810

Ph:  (07) 4750 0735
(intl. +61 7 4750 0735)

Fax: (07) 4772 6093
(intl. +61 7 4772 6093)

mobile: 0438 387 303

Email: margiea at gbrmpa.gov.au

Proudly supporting International Year of the Reef (IYOR 2008)
http://www.iyor.org

If you have received this transmission in error please notify us immediately
by return email and delete all copies. Any unauthorised use, disclosure or
distribution of this email is prohibited.

INTERNAL NOTE: This email could be a Commonwealth Record.
Please place a copy of this email on the relevant file in
circumstances where action is required, a decision has
been made, or a direction has been given.  Records
Management can provide more guidance on the capture of
email as records within the GBRMPA.