[Coral-List] Decreased abundance of CCA due to ocean acidification

Ilsa B Kuffner ikuffner at usgs.gov
Tue Jan 8 10:22:45 EST 2008

Dear colleagues,

I am pleased to announce the publication of our paper in the new journal
Nature Geoscience:

Decreased abundance of crustose coralline algae due to ocean acidification
Ilsa B. Kuffner1, Andreas J. Andersson2,3, Paul L. Jokiel4, Ku'ulei S.
Rodgers4 & Fred T. Mackenzie2
Owing to anthropogenic emissions, atmospheric concentrations of carbon
dioxide could almost double between 2006 and 2100 according to
business-as-usual carbon dioxide emission scenarios1. Because the ocean
absorbs carbon dioxide from the atmosphere2, 3, 4, increasing atmospheric
carbon dioxide concentrations will lead to increasing dissolved inorganic
carbon and carbon dioxide in surface ocean waters, and hence acidification
and lower carbonate saturation states2, 5. As a consequence, it has been
suggested that marine calcifying organisms, for example corals, coralline
algae, molluscs and foraminifera, will have difficulties producing their
skeletons and shells at current rates6, 7, with potentially severe
implications for marine ecosystems, including coral reefs6, 8, 9, 10, 11.
Here we report a seven-week experiment exploring the effects of ocean
acidification on crustose coralline algae, a cosmopolitan group of
calcifying algae that is ecologically important in most shallow-water
habitats12, 13, 14. Six outdoor mesocosms were continuously supplied with
sea water from the adjacent reef and manipulated to simulate conditions of
either ambient or elevated seawater carbon dioxide concentrations. The
recruitment rate and growth of crustose coralline algae were severely
inhibited in the elevated carbon dioxide mesocosms. Our findings suggest
that ocean acidification due to human activities could cause significant
change to benthic community structure in shallow-warm-water carbonate
ecosystems.
1.      US Geological Survey, Florida Integrated Science Center, St
Petersburg, Florida 33701, USA
2.      University of Hawaii, Department of Oceanography, 1000 Pope Road,
Honolulu, Hawaii 96822, USA
3.      Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences, 17 Biological Lane, St
George's, GE01, Bermuda
4.      Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology, PO Box 1346, Kaneohe, Hawaii
96744, USA

For those interested in obtaining a pdf of the paper:
If your institution does not have a subscription to Nature Geoscience, you
can either register at the website http://www.nature.com/ngeo/index.html
to obtain the paper as a one-time free sample (go to the abstract, click
on the pdf icon, and it will bring up the registration page), or you can
email me personally at ikuffner at usgs.gov to request a copy.

Best regards, Ilsa and co-authors

P.s. There is also a short blurb about the paper in the NY Times science
section today (1/8/08).  Unfortunately, they got the pH scale upside-down,
which was surprising to me, but testament to how vigilant we have to be in
explaining the process of ocean acidification to the media and the public.

Ilsa B. Kuffner, Ph.D.
Research Ecologist, FISC
Coastal and Watershed Science Team

US Geological Survey