[Coral-List] Question Thermal vs PH shift

Simon Donner simon.donner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 13:26:17 EST 2008

It is rather depressing to read scientists arguing over which threat (T vs.
pH) is worse. I will say that the discussion of poleward movement of corals
confuses geological and socio/ecological thinking. Even if corals could all
move poleward, that would not mean establishment, in the near or even the
future, of coral reef ecosystems as we know them. And even if that could
happen, the more equatorial human communities that had depended on
(presumably degraded) coral reefs are still in trouble.