[Coral-List] Changes in the Gulf Stream

Thomas Goreau goreau at bestweb.net
Mon Jan 14 16:05:30 EST 2008

Unfortunately the article quoted below by Melissa Keyes about the
Gulf Stream weakening is incorrect.

Although the newspaper article said that the researchers had detected
a 30% decrease in the Gulf Stream, this is not in fact what they
reported. Harry Bryden and colleagues were using vertical
oceanographic density profile cross sections for calculating changes
in the flow of the Gulf Stream between Florida and the Bahamas, and
the degree to which this flow then bifurcated between the northern
branch that flows to the British Isles and Scandinavia, and the
southern branch that flows towards Portugal, Morocco, and then
circles around back to the Bahamas in the North Atlantic gyre. The
researchers reported no significant change in the flow of the Gulf
Stream itself off Florida (despite what the newspapers claimed), but
that more was heading to the southern branch than the northern
branch. This was based on measurements at a few time intervals. Later
work, including the same authors, then showed that this difference
was much less than the normal year to year fluctuations, and so no
meaningful temporal trends could be demonstrated.

It should be realized that the Gulf Stream is a consequence of the
rotation of the Earth, and so is basically impossible to stop unless
the earth stops spinning. But that does not mean it cannot shift
direction or flow rates. But the direct oceanographic data is still
too sparse in time and space to give very good handles on long term
changes. There is an indirect, or "poor man's" way to get at this
issue, namely to look at the long term trends in sea surface
temperature anomalies. The entire area affected by the Gulf Stream
and by the Kuro Shio is warming well above the average rate of the
ocean as a whole. This implies that the surface heat flow out of the
tropics in these currents is increasing, but says little about the
integrated vertical structure of the flows, which is what the
oceanographic density sections are used to calculate.  While changes
in thermocline depth could be involved (but are unlikely as this
would need a shallowing thermocline, while there is clear evidence
that the global average thermocline is getting deeper). Above average
rise of SST is especially common in the bulk of the ocean where wind
speeds are decreasing, and these are largely areas with decreasing
surface chlorophyll.  The opposite is happening in those areas where
wind speed is increasing, which are primarily in the middle of the
big ocean gyres in the SE Paciific, NE Pacific, SE Indian Ocean,
North Atlantic near Iceland, SE Atlantic,and all around Antarctica. I
these areas SST is rising more slowly than average, and  chlorophyll
is increasing since more nutrients are coming up from wind driven
upwelling. but these areas are much smaller and do not compensate for
the larger areas of reduced wind speed and above average temperature
rise and decreasing primary production.

For more discussion of these issues see:
T.J. Goreau R.L. Hayes, & D. McAllister, 2005, Regional patterns of
sea surface temperature rise: implications for global ocean
circulation change and the future of coral reefs and fisheries, WORLD
RESOURCE REVIEW, 17: 350-374

Thomas J. Goreau, PhD
President
Global Coral Reef Alliance