[Coral-List] Coral larvae and climate change

Thomas Goreau goreau at bestweb.net
Wed Jan 16 10:31:50 EST 2008

Many people have worked on the important larval survival and
viability issues that Jonathan Shrives raises. I'm not one of them,
and I'm sure those in the know will provide interesting answers.

I only want to point out here that if the warm currents are
increasing their heat flow out of the tropics as the SST data
strongly suggests, then range expansion is inevitable. The geological
record shows not only the temporary flickers that bring corals and
tropical fish beyond their normal range in a warm year that die that
winter (a few years ago juvenile Caribbean reef fish were showing up
in Jamaica Bay: that's Jamaica, New York, not my home island), but as
Gene Shinn has repeatedly pointed out, the early Holocene Acropora
reefs all along South East Florida can only be explained by a
stronger Gulf Stream at that time. But we are now not just in
flickers with net zero trends, but in a world with strong positive
temperature trends with the flickers superimposed.

Also a critically important set of papers with profound implications
for this discussion that have been seriously overlooked are by Paul
Sammarco and his students, who some years ago showed that Diploria
produced less larvae at high temperatures and that the larvae had
greatly reduced survival in warmer water, a double climate whammy on
reproduction. Paul has also done very relevant work on coral range
expansion beyond it's normal habitat on Louisiana oil rigs, so that
if we provide the right surfaces where there are none, it is possible
to grow reefs where none now exist. I am advising an exhibition to be
held at the UN in May which will show this possibility.

I don't have the full citations of these papers handy, but you can
get them on Google Scholar by entering "Bassim Sammarco" (below)

Effects of temperature and ammonium on larval development and
survivorship in a scleractinian coral …
K Bassim, P Sammarco - Marine Biology, 2003 - Springer

Effects of temperature on success of (self and non-self)
fertilization and embryogenesis in Diploria …
K Bassim, P Sammarco, T Snell - Marine Biology, 2002 - Springer

Expansion of coral communities within the Northern Gulf of Mexico via
offshore oil and gas platforms
PW Sammarco, AD Atchison, GS Boland - Marine Ecology Progress Series,
2004

Thomas J. Goreau, PhD
President
Global Coral Reef Alliance