[Coral-List] Is mass coral bleaching caused by bacteria like Vibrio?

Ove Hoegh-Guldberg oveh at uq.edu.au
Mon Jan 21 03:58:18 EST 2008

Dear List,

Tracy Ainsworth, Maoz Fine, Jez Roff and I have just published a study
which examines whether or not the bacterium Vibrio shiloi causes
bleaching of the Mediterranean coral, Oculina patigonica.  Given that we
show that bleaching occurs in O. patigonica without the presence, and
hence involvement, of Vibrio, we believe that there is no longer any
support for the bacterial bleaching hypothesis.  Maybe you disagree.  We
have opened discussions of this issue at http://www.climateshifts.org.
Drop by and join into the discussions.

Regards,

Ove