[Coral-List] Tunicate-killing coral spreading all across Caribbeanregion

Christine Schoenberg christine.schoenberg at uni-oldenburg.de
Mon Jan 21 06:21:36 EST 2008

Dear Tom,

On Jan 17, 2008, at 7:03 PM, Thomas Goreau wrote:

> Dear Andrew,
>
> Thanks,. I do recall a paper on Hawksbill sponge feeding preferences
> some time ago (and not just Xestospongia muta), but have lost track
> of the reference, and sponge and turtle people I ask don't seem to
> know about it. Anyone out there know?

Try:

MEYLAN, A.B. 1988. Spongivory of hawksbill turtles: a diet of glass.
Science 239: 393-395.
Meylan A (1990) Nutritional characteristics of sponges in the diet of
the bawksbill turtle, Eretmochelys imbricata. In: Rützler K (ed) New
perspectives in sponge biology. Smithsonian Institution Press,
Washington, pp 472–477
Van Dam, R. & C.E. Diez. 1997a. Predation by hawksbill turtles on
sponges at Mona Island, Puerto Rico. In: Proceedings of the 8th
International Coral Reef Symposium 2: 1421-1426.
Vicente, V.P. & N.M. Carballeira. 1991. Studies on the feeding
ecology of the hawksbill turtle, Eretmochelys imbricata, in Puerto
Rico. In: Salmon, M. and Wyneken, J. (Compliers). Proceedings of the
11th Annual Workshop on Sea Turtle Biology and Conservation. NOAA
Technical Memorandum NMFS-SEFSC-302. Miami, Fl. pp. 117-120.
Diet of East Pacific Green Turtles (Chelonia mydas) in the Central
Gulf of California, Mexico
Jeffrey A. Seminoff, Antonio Resendiz, Wallace J. Nichols
Journal of Herpetology, Vol. 36, No. 3 (Sep., 2002), pp. 447-453
ELIZA INEZ GILBERT 2005. JUVENILE GREEN TURTLE (CHELONIA MYDAS)
FORAGING ECOLOGY:
FEEDING SELECTIVITY AND FORAGE NUTRIENT ANALYSIS. B.A. Antioch
College, 1998. A thesis submitted in partial fulfillment of the
requirements  for the degree of Master of Science  in the Department
of Biology  in the College of Arts and Science  at the University of
Central Florida Orlando, Florida
Troeng, S, Dutton, PH, Evans, D 2005. Migration of hawksbill
turtles... Ecography 28: 394-402
Bjorndal KA (1980) Nutrition and grazing behavior of the green turtle
Chelonia mydas. Mar Biol 56: 147–154
Bjorndal KA (1990) Digestibility of the sponge Chondrilla nucula in
the green turtle, Chelonia mydas. Bull Mar Sci 47: 567–570
Eckort SA, Eckort KL, Ponganis P, Kooyman GL (1989) Diving and
foraging behavior of leatherback sea turtles (Dermochelys coriacea).
Can J Zool 67: 2834–2840
Hartog den JC (1980) Notes on the food of sea turtles: Eretmochelys
imbricata (Linnaeus) and Dermochelys coriacea (Linnaeus). Neth J Zool
30: 595–610

Cheers, Christine