[Coral-List] Everglades & the Keys

Billy Causey billy.causey at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 4 13:38:48 EDT 2008

Jim,
You are correct..This move by the State of Florida is a major step in
the restoration of the South Florida ecosystem.  A major goal we (local,
state, federal and tribal governments) identified early in the planning
process (1993) was to "get the water right."  That means to restore the
quality, quantity, timing and distribution of fresh water into the South
Florida ecosystem or the Greater Everglades.  The purchase of the US
Sugar lands helps achieve an important step in meeting this goal.  The
Governor, the State of Florida and the South Florida Water Management
District are to be commended for this major achievement.  One of our
problems in South Florida is the inability to store large volumes of
water or clean the water before it moves downstream as the "river of
grass." The smaller Stormwater Treatment Areas have shown very positive
results in the removal of phosphorus from the system.  This new purchase
will add another large cleansing area to the ecosystem.  The State has
has shown leadership on a number of South Florida Ecosystem restoration
initiatives ...and this is the latest.

If any on the list want to learn more about this massive regional
restoration project visit the following website:  http://www.sfrestore.org/

Billy

Jim Hendee wrote:
> There is now hope that once the River of Grass is restored, so might the
> Keys be under better environmental influence and do better:
>
> http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/sfl-flspwaters06-29sbjun29,0,6136602.column
>
> This would go a long way toward helping keep the level of fertilizers
> down, and provide cleaner water and more of it, and making the job of
> environmental managers a lot easier, instead of being asked to perform
> miracles without those events.  Now, if only the State of Florida can
> work cooperatively and effectively with the USG in firming up the
> commitments they made back in 2000, we might actually see two healthy
> ecosystems within our lifetimes!  I hope!
>
>     Jim

Billy D. Causey, Ph.D., Regional Director
Southeast Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Region
National Marine Sanctuary Program
33 East Quay Road
Key West, Florida 33040

305.809.4670 (ex 234)