[Coral-List] Education of the masses

Shelley.Dupuy at noaa.gov Shelley.Dupuy at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 23 22:16:58 EDT 2008

I was working for Steve when we implemented that project.

We did actually pay for the printing of the posters (through a donation
from the dive club, if I recall correctly).  Maybe a grant could pay for
the printing and the design could be contributed as in-kind
contribution.  The key will be finding an ad agency that holds the
contract for enough large advertisement venues in airports, etc to
really reach the masses.  Printing for multiple airport venues can be
challenging because the sizes are not standardized.

Maybe an additional approach (since billboards seem to be more of a
standard size) would be to get a grant to print the billboard posters
and make them available to local groups who arrange deals with the
billboard owners.  I see a lot of vacant billboards along I-45 between
Galveston and Ft. Worth, TX.

The difference between the airport displays and billboards is that
airport posters are just slipped into frames and can be reused.
Billboard posters are pasted on and have to be ripped down when a paying
customer comes along.
There's also the labor of pasting the billboard poster versus the few
minutes it takes to change out an airport poster.

Just some more food for thought.

Shelley Du Puy
Education & Outreach Coordinator
Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary