[Coral-List] Digital Photo-monitoring

Chris Roelfsema c.roelfsema at uq.edu.au
Sun Jun 1 00:11:39 EDT 2008

HI George

We have been using digital camera for transect surveys to calibrate and validate satellite imagery. However we did not use it for permanent transects surveys.

We have worked with the:
- Sony pc19-pc10 and pc 100 Cybershot in marine pack housing with sea and sea 16 mm lens. Sea and Sea had that same lense suitable for the Nikonos.
- Canon A540,in Canon Housing, with INON lens, this lens give has a bit more distortion. We liked the CANON since easy to use, large storage, AA batteries which is easy in remote field and the setup is still compact, (Sony was more compact). Quality of photos is very good.
- Nikon D70 in subal housing, which is a great setup but to bulky for long transect surveys.

The hard part we found that there are so many cameras available and changing so fast that it you almost have to buy two sets at the same time.

We wrote a manual for it and you can download from our web site, maybe this will help you and possible others. http://www.gpa.uq.edu.au/CRSSIS/publications/GPS_Photo_Transects_for_Benthic_Cover_Manual.pdf

It describe some of the equipment, although not updated with the new camera. It also describes a procedure how we link our photo with gps coordinates using GPS-Photolink and how they are analysed with Coral Point Count excel. Hotlinked photos can be viewed in Google Earth or other GIS environments which makes it very powerful. We know there are several other software packages doing similar things, some are for free, of course they all have advantages and disadvantages.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me.

Regards

Chris Roelfsema
Marine Remote Sensing Officer/PhD Candidate
Centre for Remote Sensing and
Spatial Information Science
School of Geography, Planning and Architecture
The University of Queensland
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, 4072
Ph: 61-7-33656977
Fax: 61-7-33656899