[Coral-List] ICRS and IYOR 2008: getting the word out

Ali Miller alimiller at whale-mail.com
Wed Jun 11 13:03:01 EDT 2008

Dear Sarah,

Thank you so much for expressing your concern with the lack of knowledge
of the IYOR in the diving community. As an avid diver, I believe this is
something that should be made a priority in the diving community, and I
have, too noticed not many divers even know what the IYOR is
celebrating. I recently visited Cozumel and Bonaire. In Cozumel, there
was no sign of any IYOR recognition, but in Bonaire, there were banners
everywhere, which made me feel better.

I personally think the best way to get the word out is through DEMA and
the training agencies, as they are the ones creating new divers and
trying to retain the current divers. DEMA has launched a huge
advertising campaign titled "Be A Diver". I will talk with my boss to
see if we can get IYOR incorporated some how into the DEMA campaign and
I will also try to publish something on Dive Newswire to try and get the
word out.

As reefs are the life of the dive business, I believe all dive
organizations should have a vested interest in their health.

Thank you for your concerns,

Ali Miller
Training and Travel Coordinator
Denver Divers