[Coral-List] Divers and IYOR.

John Ware jware at erols.com
Thu Jun 12 07:39:17 EDT 2008

Hello to all,

I know that I am a little slower than most of you, which is why I am
confused.  The question that I am asking is:  What exactly did you
expect AMERICAN divers to do differently if they are told that this is
the IYOR?  Did anyone out there really expect that knowledge alone to
make any difference in the behavior of the average diver?  I don't.

The biggest impact that divers have on coral reefs has almost nothing to
do with diving.  It has to do with driving a 12 mpg SUV, flying to coral
reef destinations, setting their home air conditioning system to 72,
etc, etc.

John

    *                      John R. Ware, PhD                    *
    *                         President                         *
    *                      SeaServices, Inc.                    *
    *                   19572 Club House Road                   *
    *             Montgomery Village, MD, 20886, USA            *
    *                       301 987-8507                        *
    *                      jware at erols.com                      *
    *                 http://www.seaservices.org                *
    *                     fax: 301 987-8531                     *
    *             Treasurer and Member of the Council:          *
    *            International Society for Reef Studies         *
    *                                          _                *
    *                                         |                 *
    *     |\/__       Untainted by Technology            \      *

Become a member of the International Society for Reef Studies
http://www.fit.edu/isrs/

The next International Coral Reef Symposium is in Fort Lauderdale, Florida
7-11 July 2008  http://www.nova.edu/ncri/11icrs/