[Coral-List] More actions on getting the word out

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 12 11:05:17 EDT 2008

Dear Francis & Dick,
thank you for listing the wealth of outreach activities planned or completed to date by ICRI. I was aware of most of them.
I also understand budget and priority limitations and I am happily surprised how much has been accomplished and/or is currently
on progress in spite of such limitations.

But still the reality we face on the ground is quite different, as I described.
I just sent an email to coral list in response to Jim Hendee's comments, so that will complement my answer here. And it will illustrate that
I contribute to the effort whatever I can.

Perhaps, one of the best ways to reach everyone will be the PSA's.
To my surprise, almost everyone I asked about IYOR talked to me instead about the recent PSAs from The Nature Conservancy, and
the ones you can see now both on TV and the cinema on solving global warming (the "we can solve it" campaign). So they were teaching me about those issues, because perhaps I had not seen them.... otherwise, why will I be talking about coral reefs, they are not even in the news (!).

So, TV, you tube (internet), movie theaters. That seems to be the way to go.  I hope we can talk more about this if we meet during ICRS.

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D.
Marine Conservation Biologist
Ocean Research and Conservation Association, Fort Pierce, Florida, USA