[Coral-List] More on origin of hermatypic

Charles Booth booth at easternct.edu
Tue Jun 17 10:42:18 EDT 2008

Regarding my question about the origin of the term hermatypic, as it
pertains to corals - This from a friend of a friend:

³Brown (Composition of scientific terms) says that herma in Gr means, among
other things, "sunken rock, reef...".   I thought the derivation would be
found in the OED, but no such luck. Although there, I learned the origin of
the term hermaphrodite refers to hermes hermaphroditic son. ... I managed to
find the paper...that states Wells (1933)invented the term.  Schumacher &
Zibrowius does indeed have the answer on page 2, quoting Wells "The term
hermatypic, from herma, a reef, is therefore proposed to describe corals of
the reef-building type, the
living species of which possess symbiotic zooxanthellae within their
tissues.²

So, ³hermatypic² from the Greek, herma, meaning sunken rock or reef ­ this
would seem to be consistent with the Greek myth summarized by Sarah
Rathbone.  At least is it close enough for me...

Regards to all,

Chuck Booth

Dr. Charles E. Booth
Dept. of Biology