[Coral-List] Qatar versus Dubai

Medio, David MedioD at halcrow.com
Thu Jun 19 12:27:32 EDT 2008

Dear Peter

many thanks for clarification to my statement. I am well aware of the
project for Nakheel and read carefully the article re water quality in
last month's Time Out in Dubai which described some of your work there.
Happy to see that environmental considerations are being looked into
seriously and long term.

Having said that, the reason I mentioned it in the context of Qatar is
that, as a late comer to the game of uncontrolled coastal development,
this particular Emirate has (still?) the opportunity of seeking
solutions before the damage is done and contemplating mitigation,
alternatives etc. In other words all those elements that should be
considered thoroughly prior to any development in the context of a more
or less formal EIA: something that no one can claim was undertaken for
any of the larger scale projects in Dubai.

Having been in the region for on and off 20 years, I accept the argument
of course that the game in the Emirate in question is develop the whole
stretch (of 42 linear kms) into several hundred linear kms at whatever
cost. The luxury of doing it differently rests with Abu Dhabi and Qatar
and ultimately Oman; Bahrain as far as I know has long run out of viable
reefs or other marine habitats (Charles Sheppard is more up to date than
me on this state).

David

Dr David Medio
Principal Environmental Scientist
Halcrow Group Ltd, Arndale Centre, Otley Rd, Headingley, Leeds, LS6 2UL,
UK
tel: switchboard +44 (0)113 2208220, direct line: +44 (0)113 220 8253,
mobile: +44 (0)773 919 0968
fax: +44 (0)113 274 2924   email: mediod at halcrow.com
www.halcrow.com
_______

Halcrow   Sustaining and improving the quality of people's lives
____ __
P Please do not print this e-mail and attachments unless absolutely
necessary

Visit our website at http://www.halcrow.com
The contents of this email are confidential, for the sole use
of the intended recipient at the email address to which it has
been addressed and do not give rise to any binding legal
obligation upon Halcrow companies unless subsequently confirmed
on headed business notepaper sent by fax, letter or as an email
attachment. Whilst reasonable care has been taken to avoid virus
transmission, no responsibility for viruses is taken and it is
your responsibility to carry out such checks as you feel
appropriate. Emails supplied are as found and there's no
guarantee that the messages contained within the body of the
email have not been edited after receipt. If you receive this
email in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete
the message from your system.
Thank you.
Halcrow Group Limited. Registered office: Vineyard House, 44 Brook Green
London, W6 7BY. Registered in England and Wales, Number 3415971.