[Coral-List] Algae and nutrients and herbivory in oligotrophic waters

Don Baker reefpeace at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 20 17:37:34 EDT 2008

Hi Dean,

Very interesting observations!  And worth to well note for perhaps future anthropomorphic coral restoration methodology rather than just  wait and see what the ecosystem does to repair itself despite human affection - however meant to be beneficially applied.

Can you (and Coral-L members) please take a look at this web page and look-see the Gallery:

http://coral.jeffspiratescove.com/

This is a serious eutrophication situation that basically affects the entire coral reef platform from Talofofo Bay inlet to Ylig Bay inlet, whereas, it has been blamed primarily from the Baza Gardens wastewater treatment plant discharge into the Togcha River. (Forgive me for noting areas that you may not know their locations..but to make a point here)

Interjection here:  By the way, can anyone ID the blue-green alga in the photos please?

The volume reported to be discharged from the Baza WWTP after secondary treatment is an average of .6 mil g/day.  I have walked the river that receives the discharge and I am not convinced that it's Only the Baza WWTP the source of nutrients feeding the reef platform.  In fact, I feel the B-WWTP is a minor contributor if secondary treatment is correctly applied (removal of 50% Nitrate load; 30% Phosphate load).

The entire Talofofo region and Ipan area exists on top of a large limestone section of MARIANA LIMESTONE (Pliocene to Pleistocene), whereas, existing on this section there are 3 golf courses and a 4th in the planning stages, Windward Hile/Baza Gardens residential housing; Talofofo residential housing, and Ipan residential housing.   A quick assessment for the volume of freshwater utilized by this region is enormous when considering the golf courses a part of it.

Reference:

Hydrologic Resources of Guam
Prepared in cooperation with the
WATER AND ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH INSTITUTE (WERI)
UNIVERSITY OF GUAM
U.S. Department of the Interior
Gingerich–– Hydrologic Resources of Guam –– WRIR 03-4126
By Stephen B. Gingerich
U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigations Report 03-4126

Only a minor area uses the Baza WWTP and .6 mil g/d is minor when assessing the areas using old septic tanks (those without bottoms) and newer septic tanks with bottoms & leach field discharge.

A recent reef platform survey (with underwater photos) shows that the entire reef platform has substantial and thick growth of the blue-green alga in various locations where there are sandy bottoms and no exposed coral / limestone base rock....as well as gross overgrowth of the typical macro-alga (notably Caulerpa, Padina).  On two locations on this same reef platform, my partner and I could actually smell 'sewer water' in areas of the cooler freshwater discharging up from the reef platform.

My point in all this?

Septic tank discharge water in limestone regions do not filter or treat the high nutrient water.  In fact, the same water will quickly flow through the limestone until it may reach a less permeable layer (volcanic rock) and continue to flow downhill via gravity and discharge at a much lower altitude ( beach side or even out on the reef platform itself.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.  References to any studies and Papers available would also be appreciated.

The first step is to ID the sources. The second step is to suggest remedial solutions - no matter how much the cost may be.

I would initially suggest that all new septic tanks be banned in the region and a new waste water treatment plant be installed to accommodate all residential housing to connect too at minimum cost or no cost to existing residence housing. The golf courses?  Well......again.....can anyone suggest eco-friendly guidelines for golf course irrigation and the efficient & proper use of fertilizers?

The trade off with doing nothing?   The death and "Alga-fication" of the shallow coastal limestone platform...no longer calling it a 'coral' platform. And No fish to catch as fish do not eat the blue-green algae.

Don Baker
Guam USA

Dean Jacobson <atolldino at yahoo.com> wrote: Dear lister:

Tom's response reminded me of a dive this week.  On Wednesday I was revisiting a site that was devastated by COTS several years ago, Irooj Island next to the northern pass on Majuro atoll, a location far from human source of pollution.  I had expected the thick cyanobacteria and Dictyota bloom that followed predation on coral to have diminished after three years, but to my surprise the algal biomass is as thick as ever. No coral have recruited, other than the most shallow substrates that are free of algae. Yet an identical COTS-devasted patch reef just a few hundred meters to the west is free of algae, and dead coral surfaces are thick with young Acropora recruits.  I am guessing an eddy forms around Irooj (where there is a "dead end" corner next to the pass) and has trapped the nutrients.  There appears to be many herbivorous fish, but in seven years I have never observed any grazing on Dicytota.  So, I concur with Tom Goreau's observations on bottom-up
 forcing.

Also, have witnessed local scarids avoid live coral, as well, as well as bit-marking a minority of Porites colonies.

Cheers, and looking forward to meeting some of you at ICRS,
Dean Jacobson
College of the Marshall Islands