[Coral-List] Algae and nutrients and herbivory in oligotrophic waters

Paul Hoetjes phoetjes at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 11:42:30 EDT 2008

   From  some  of  the  messages  posted on this subject I am getting the
   impression  that  the  distinction  between oligo- meso- and eutrophic
   really  isn't  that important. It is all the same as long as there are
   enough  grazers because that will make the reefs all right. I'm sorry,
   but that seems like a gross missing of the point.
   Can   someone   perhaps  explain  the  tresholds  between  oligo-  and
   mesotropic  and  between  meso- and eutrophic? And can someone tell me
   whether   reefs   can  actually  flourish  under  meso-  or  eutrophic
   situations?  I  have  always  understood that for coral reefs you need
   oligotrophic  circumstances.  That  would  seem  to  indicate that any
   nutrient loading would inevitably lead to circumstances unsuitable for
   coral reefs.
   Or  is  oligotrophic such a broad term that it can absorb the nutrient
   inputs  from sewage and waste water from extensive coastal development
   and   fertilizer   run-off  from  sugarcane  fields  (e.g.  Caribbean,
   including  prime  example  Florida),  from  hog and chicken farms, and
   other unbridled and unsustainable urban/agricultural development?
   It  would  be  really  great  if we could stop all that damage just by
   prohibiting  all  fishing  and restore the grazing fish stocks, but it
   would  probably  be  better  if we just acknowledged and document that
   damage  and  work  on  stopping  the  major  causes  of  it. Perhaps a
   Caribbean  or  even  world  wide  program  to  monitor  (oligotrophic)
   nutrient   levels,   sources,  and  corresponding  coral  reef  health
   (including  fish  populations)  should  be undertaken, in the same way
   that we are monitoring coral bleaching. The problem is at least of the
   same scale!
   Best,
   Paul
--