[Coral-List] Ideas for transporting chemicals to Indonesia??

Steve LeGore slegore at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 26 01:22:31 EDT 2008

As you are finding, Heather, import and export of preservatives, reagents and samples can be exceedingly troublesome.  I have found that the simplest approach is to identify a local supplier and purchase it after entering the country.  In some cases, I have been able to correspond with a local academic colleague having access to local suppliers willing to order for me in advance or to sell me a portion of his/her existing supplies.  Alternatively, you may in some cases be able to order it from an international supply house, asking that it be delivered to a local colleague, in which case, they deal with customs requirements.  Another way is to ship it to a local contact in advance, being sure to exactly follow documentation requirements of the receiving country.  In no case would I carry it with me without advance customs negotiation and clearance, and even then this would be a last resort as there is always the risk that you will encounter an uninformed or unaware customs official, with the dire results your query foresees.

Steve LeGore