[Coral-List] [SPAM] Re: banning wild collection when mariculture sources exist

Charles Delbeek delbeek at waquarium.org
Sun Mar 2 16:47:29 EST 2008

Well said Peter!

I would also like to point out that a coral aquaculture facility on
Ishigaki Island, Japan, back in the mid-90s was required by permit to
replant 30% (?) of their production back on to the local reefs. The
percentage needs to be carefully considered or else the business would
not be profitable. There are plenty of programs, manuals and models out
there for how to run coral aquaculture businesses successfully and be
sustainable as Peter describes, it seems that many people are either
unaware of these, or choose not to acknowledge them.

Aloha!
Charles