[Coral-List] EXTINCTION THRESHOLDS IN CORALS

John McManus jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Fri Mar 7 14:45:05 EST 2008

This is a really complex issue, but one that we hope to make some progress
on via simulation. You can get some idea of the complexity and an
introduction to the literature via:

Barry W. Brook, Lochran W. Traill, Corey J. A. Bradshaw (2006) Minimum
viable population sizes and global extinction risk are unrelated
Ecology Letters 9 (4) , 375–382 doi:10.1111/j.1461-0248.2006.00883.x

Cheers!

John

John W. McManus, PhD
Director, National Center for Coral Reef Research (NCORE)
Professor, Marine Biology and Fisheries
Coral Reef Ecology and Management Lab (CREM Lab)
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS)
University of Miami, 4700 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, 33149
jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu      http://ncore.rsmas.miami.edu
 Phone: 305-421-4814   Fax: 305-421-4910

  "If I cannot build it, I do not understand it."
              --Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate