[Coral-List] Palythoa discussion (dustin kemp)

Gene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Tue Mar 18 12:04:42 EDT 2008

Dustin, That is an interesting observation and so true. I do not know
the temperature tolerance of Palythoa but there are extremes near
shore. Temperature fluctuations both high and low affected, and
ultimately killed, the Acropora cervicornis I placed near shore years
ago. I suspect Palythoa has a similar tolerance. It could also be
related to groundwater seepage. Groundwater flow in the Keys is
toward the Atlantic and  there is considerable tidal pumping in near
shore areas. Look on any satellite image and notice the yellow/green
to greenish/brown water near shore. Worth looking into. Gene
--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor